Thursday, November 8, 2007

Today's Route

My usual commuting route will be unavailable since RR track work is being done near the intersection of Ijamsville Road and Musseter Road. So, I decided to take MD 75 instead. But first, let's start at the house.

I left the house about 8:30 this morning. It was quite frosty, so I used my car starter before stepping into the vehicle. Pongo was apparently amused by the smell of his frosty gift pile, but we digress. I had forgotten to pick up the yard waste can from yesterday, so I'll have to put that on my to-do list this evening.

Up the street at the gazebo near the trail entrance, a dozen or so parents and kids await the school bus, which for some strange reason, stops at the end of a narrow street to the east, then has to make a painfully slow turn to go down to the gazebo and its nice HUGE parking area. This doesn't make much sense to me. Why is there a school bus that late any way? What time does school start, 9 am?

Down to Boyers Mill Road, and a young buck bounds from west to east across the street. That little spot could be dangerous as he was hidden from my view until the last second, and did I mention he was bounding?

Since I chose MD 75 today, I had to go all the way into town (New Market) on Old National Pike (MD 144). A jogger with 2 dogs and a school bus about to pull out from dropping off kids made it pretty interesting. It was pretty slow going through Monrovia, but once the huge moving trailer (for construction equipment?) turned left, I was moving nicely. An interesting little area is near the Green Valley Vet Center... there's some sort of animal farm with what looked like an ostrich. Now horses and cows are pretty typical along this route.

Everything was honky dory all the way to MD 355, with a poor little dead fox on the way. A quick little jaunt on MD 109 to get on I-270 and I was back up to speed. Nice flow to the traffic, fairly light although it was a bit after 9 by this point.

From there to the office, just typical navigating. I was hoping for a parking spot at the front side of the bldg today to avoid the construction and the new speed bumps, but like I said, it's after 9, so I get an okay spot on the sunny side. My car will be nice and warm when I go to lunch.

No comments: